For our Pre-k class we are utilizing a curriculum that uses captivating songs and familiar tunes which feature predictable text, rhyming words, vocabulary, and comprehension skills. Instructional strategies incorporate balanced literacy with Read-Aloud and Shared Reading, Shared and Independent Writing, Phonemic Awareness, and Learning Centers for independent practice. Mathematical vocabulary, rhyming words, and comprehension questions link literacy skills with each lesson.
- Language Arts
- Demonstrates top to bottom, left to right progression
- Distinguishes letters from words and words from sentences
- Identifies uppercase and lowercase letters
- Demonstrates knowledge of beginning sounds
- Orally tells what sound is heard at the beginning and ending of words
- Makes predictions
- Demonstrates comprehension of stories by orally retelling or acting out the story
- Identifies characters, setting, and main idea of a story
- Prints name
- Prints alphabet letters
- Uses writing (letters, pictures, and words) to express own meaning
- Writes from left to right
- Orally state the names of the days of the week and months of the year
- Identifies the eight basic colors
- Understands and follows one and two step spoken directions
- Demonstrates 1 to 1 correspondence
- Sorts and classifies objects by position, shape, size, color, number of corners, etc.
- Identifies, copies, extends, and creates patterns
- Can count to 100 by 1’s
- Identifies the five basic shapes (circle, oval, square, rectangle, triangle)
- Draws the five basic shapes
- Identifies numerals (0-10)
- Labels sets (0-10) with correct numeral
- Compares sets of objects and uses the terms equal, more than, or less than correctly
- Can count backwards from 10
- Identifies coins (penny, nickel, dime, quarter)
- Joins and separates sets of objects
- Identifies half versus whole
- Divides sets of objects into equal groups
- Measures length with a variety of non-standard measurements
- Compares measurements and uses the terms shorter, longer, taller, heavier, warmer, cooler, holds more, etc. correctly
- Uses positional words to explain location (left, right, on, off, inside, between, above, below, etc.)
- Holds pencils and scissors correctly
- Cuts on lines
- Outlines and colors neatly within the lines
- Hops on both feet together
- Hops on one foot (left and right)
- Recites address from memory
- Recites telephone number from memory
- Recites birth date (including year)
- Demonstrates the ability to put on and fasten outer clothing (unassisted)
- Puts forth best efforts in work
- Takes care of school materials
- Uses self-control to follow school rules
- Works independently
- Completes work in a reasonable amount of time
- Follows directions
- Listens attentively to others
- Stays on task
- Willingly participates in activities
- Works well with others
Pre-Kindergarten students are introduced to many science and social studies topics as well, but are not expected to have mastered these areas. Some sample topics are shown below.
Possible Science Topics
- Natural Sciences: animals, plants, weather, space, earth science
- Physical Sciences: magnets, float and sink, etc.
- Health and Safety: teeth, body parts, nutrition and food groups, five senses, fire safety, etc.
Possible Social Studies Topics
- Home: Self/ Family/ Friends
- Community: community helpers
- History: Holidays such as Thanksgiving, President’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, etc.
- Government: respecting rules and rights of others
Within our daily activities children will have opportunities to be curious, explore their surroundings, socialize with their peers, and will receive guidance to develop the skills needed to be successful in everyday life.
Positive attitudes and guidance is always used here at our school.
A variety of skills and coordination will be exposed in both our indoor and outdoor areas.
Our staff is comprised of highly skilled early education teachers.
Monthly newsletters will inform you of our upcoming concepts and activities.
Each teacher is hand selected for their experience, dedication and influence.
We strive to provide a solid foundation for growth and learning in the early years.